Stem Cell Biology and Histology
- Assistant Prof.
- Assistant Prof.
- DEZAWA, Mari
- KITADA, Masaaki
- WAKAO, Shohei
- AKASHI, Hideo
Recently, we found that adult human mesenchymal cells such as BM-MSCs and dermal fibroblasts contain pluripotent stem cells that were named multilineage-differentiating stress-enduring (Muse) cells. These cells locate sparsely in the connective tissues of organs and can be isolated as cells that are double-positive for the pluripotency marker SSEA-3 and for a mesenchymal marker CD105. It is noteworthy that single Muse cells are able to generate cells representative of all three germ layers, and they self-renew, so that they are pluripotnet stem cells. ES cells and iPS cells are pluripotent stem cells that form teratomas upon transplantation. However, human Muse cells do not undergo tumorigenic proliferation, and do not develop into teratomas when transplanted into immunodeficient mouse testes. The behavior of Muse cells in vivo is interesting. Without induction, naive Muse cells can integrate into damaged tissue and differentiate into ectodermal-, endodermal-, and mesodermal-lineage cells according to the site of integration, and act as "repair cells". Since Muse cells are pluripotent stem cells with low risk of tumorigenesis, we are now propelling domestic and international joint studies aiming for actualization of Muse cell therapy with high efficiency and safety.
Selected Awards, articles and books
1) Autologous engraftment of A9 dopaminergic neurons induced from mesenchymal stem cells in parkinsonian rhesus macaques. J. Clin. Invest. 123(1):272-84 2013
2) Unique multipotent cells in adult human mesenchymal cell populations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 107(19):8639-8643 2010
3) Multilineage-differentiating stress-enduring (Muse) cells are a primary source of induced pluripotent stem cells in human fibroblasts. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 108(24):9875-9880 2011
4) Bone marrow stromal cells generate muscle cells and repair muscle degeneration. Science 309(5732):314-317 2005
5) The research of mesenchymal stem cells aiming for cell-based therapy.
The Commendation for Science and Technology by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Prizes for Science and Technology, Research Category 12-Apr-11
Pluripotent stem cells, mesenchymal stem cells, regenerative medicine, differentiation, tissue stem cells, stroke, Parkinson's disease, acute myocardial infarction
- mdezawa*med.tohoku.ac.jp (Please convert "*" into "@".)
- TEL +81-22-717-8025
- FAX +81-22-717-8030